Friday 10 December 2010

The problem with Peer Pressure cautions

"If all your friends decided to jump off a bridge, would you go and do that too?"

Well... in a word?
Yes!
See, I've managed to accumulate a few friends over the years (presumably out of pity or morbid curiosity, but I digress), and no doubt the same is true of you, dear reader. As a rule, my friends are intelligent enough to understand observations of cause&effect, statistical evidence, and the value of their lives and well-being, by and  large.

If you have at least three friends and they're not absolutely bereft of their wits, and they all happen to have jumped off a bridge sequentially, chances are this leap of faith they each in turn engage in won't kill or seriously injure you. Because you probably know enough people with the instinct for self-preservation, if they each took it in turn to jump off a bridge, after witnessing their more foolhardy associates' attempts, they'd only jump if it's unlikely to all go horribly wrong!

If all my friends thought it was a good idea to jump off a bridge, and the anecdotal evidence supported it, damn straight I'd jump off a bridge.
Fun - 1
Mum - 0

Oh, and if all your friends decided to jump off the bridge at the same time... your friends are way more trusting and way less cynical than mine!


And sorry about the filler post, more engaging content should return shortly
Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. Not entirely sure I'd do everything my friends do.

    Isn't there pleasure in disagreement between friends? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't there pleasure in disagreement between friends? ;)

    *blink*

    ...you are my new favourite person

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly out of your friends, if I'm included in that label, which is entirely up to you, I'd be the one pushing the rest off first and jumping in after them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barry, second to last sentence, "Oh, and if all your friends decided to jump off the bridge at the same time... your friends are way more trusting and way less cynical than mine!"

    You're cynical and sceptical, as evidenced by your speculative cheerleader antics. The perfect criteria to fit in amongst the miscreants that willingly associate with me. I take it a sense of morbid fascination is definitive of my social peers, it's the only explanation.

    ReplyDelete